Wednesday, December 6, 2006

Imminent death

I think my microwave is dying. By the way, the picture below is not my microwave, but a free image from Google--Just wanted to point that out, as my kitchen walls have geese on them (left over from my grandmother), not this nice tile~


Anyway, I was making Kyra's lunch today, and the plan was to reheat the carrots from last night. I put them in a Rubbermaid container, like always, entered 15 seconds and hit start. All of a sudden, snap, crackle, pop, and FLAMES were shooting around inside the container. I immediately opened the door, and took the container out, thinking there must be some metal on it somewhere that I didn't see. A second look didn't find anything obvious, so I put them in again. Yep, you guessed it--More Flames.

At this point, I called my husband and asked him if he knew what was wrong with the microwave. He didn't, so I thought it must be the carrots. They were cooked in a pot on the stove last night, so maybe they had picked up some of the metal flakes from the bottom of the pot???? Needless to say, I was not going to feed Metal-filled carrots to my daughter, so I dumped them in the sink and went to vegetable option #2--reheated squash, which had originally been cooked in the oven.

In the meantime, Kyra is crying, because she's hungry, and no food is appearing. I gave her her sippy cup with some milk, to tide her over, and went back to tackling the microwave. This time, I put the squash in a container that I know has no problems, and tried again. Although there were no visible flames, the same sizzling sound and a new player showed up: a burned-hair smell. Although I'm not a big fan of squash, I Know it's not supposed to smell like that!

So I gave up trying to use the microwave, and Kyra finally got to eat---Mac and Cheese and applesauce, which she probably preferred anyway :) And David said he'll look at the microwave when he gets home. Isn't it funny how we can take something like a microwave for granted, but then when it doesn't work, we suddenly realize how much we rely on it? How am I going to reheat my coffee? Maybe I'll have to go to Starbucks instead?!?!??! :) Blessings, K~

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Our microwave is dying too. Not really in the same way as yours. Yours is on a fast track to heaven. Mine is just old. I rarely use my microwave anyways. I fear it causes cancer. I reheat almost everything on the stove or in the oven.

Anonymous said...

You have a "carrot" theme going on lately :)

Allison McKenney said...

I say go to Starbucks! :)

So you live in the house that was once your Grandmother's? Did you know that we live in the house that I grew up in? Jay's sister and family bought my Grandma's house...