Monday, January 21, 2008

Chicken Peanut Curry

I realize that I haven't posted any recipes for awhile, so for that I'm sorry. And I know it's not Thursday, but this recipe was so good, that I didn't want to wait to share it :-) And, yes Katie, we DID have this for dinner tonight, and the house still smells amazing!

Chicken Peanut Curry
from Simply Recipes
Serves 6-8

Ingredients:

3 lbs boneless, skinless chicken pieces (or you can use bone-in for added flavor), cut into 1 1/2 inch wide chunks or strips
1/2 cup flour
4 Tbsp curry powder
2 teaspoons Kosher salt
1/2 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
1/2 cup olive oil
2 Tbsp fresh ginger, minced (or 1/2 Tbsp dried ground ginger)
2 Tbsp garlic, minced
2 serrano chili peppers, seeded, de-veined, minced (can add or reduce amount based on heat preference)
4 cups chicken broth, divided
1/2 cup peanut butter
1 teaspoon ground coriander seeds
8 green onions, chopped, greens included (can substitute 1 tsp granulated onion)
1/3 cup each finely chopped mint and cilantro (optional)
2 limes cut into wedges (optional)
Cooked rice

Rinse chicken & pat dry. In a Ziploc bag, combine the flour, curry powder, salt and pepper. Shake well. Add the chicken pieces and shake to coat well.

Heat oil in a large saucepan on medium high heat. Add chicken pieces. Cook 5-10 minutes (depending on size of chicken pieces), tossing occasionally to cook chicken evenly. Combine the ginger, garlic, chili pepper & 1/2 cup of chicken broth and stir to mix. Add to saucepan, and cook for 3 minutes, scraping the pan with a spatula and stirring to combine everything well.

Add the peanut butter, stirring quickly to incorporate it with the chicken. Add the remaining 3 1/2 cups of broth slowly, stirring continuously to maintain an even texture. Let simmer for 10 minutes. Right before serving, add the coriander & green onions (or granulated onion). Salt to taste.

Serve with rice. Top each serving with cilantro & mint and a little lime juice (if using). ENJOY!

A little funny note to go with this: I was in the process of making this dish tonight, and all of a sudden David calls me to come back to Kyra's room, where they'd been playing, and he sounds pretty upset. So I drop my spoon by the stove, and go rushing back there, thinking she had fallen or something. I come into her room, and he says, "You're in big trouble!" I said, "What for?" He says, "Come over here, and put your face down by the heat register." I said, "What?" He says, "Do you smell that?" I said, "Yes, it smells the same in the kitchen." He smiles and says, "You're just mean to taunt us with making it smell so good." But lucky for me, dinner was soon on the table, and all was forgiven :-)

Mourning the Packers' loss,
k~

3 comments:

Melinda said...

I am thinking that we like a lot of the same foods!

Kristin said...

Melinda--It must be the Anderson connection :-)

k~

Anonymous said...

Kristin....trying to contact you about something (food/potluck related), but don't know your email address....email me....

Yonas