Sunday, May 27, 2007

What's for Dinner?

If you're like me, you're always looking for something quick & yummy to throw at the masses for dinner.

Today was no different. 5pm rolled around, and nothing had been thawed out. The symphony of tummies growling joined the famous chorus, "What's for dinner?"


Not wanting to go out, it was now Creative Time. I opened the fridge, and hoped something would just jump out and say, "Eat me!" No such luck. However, I did find some broccoli that needed to be used. What goes well with broccoli? Chicken!!!

Unfortunately, almost all the chicken we have is frozen solid, except for the Costco bag of Foster Farms Breast Nuggets. Could these work in a pinch? I was willing to give it a try.

I did a Google search for a Chicken Divan recipe, and then "Hamannized" it. It actually turned out quite good, although as David says, "I would never share this recipe with anyone, because that would mean we'd have to admit we'd eat something like this, something so high in sodium". I said, "As a mom, sometimes you just need something easy & something you know they'll like."

So, with that anti-healthy warning, here's the recipe I pulled together:

Easy Chicken Divan

Total Prep Time: 15 minutes
Actual Cooking Time: 15 to 30 minutes
Number of Servings: 4

Ingredients:

2 cups Rice, cooked
2 cups Broccoli, cooked and cut up
15 frozen Chicken Nuggets (I used Foster Farms Breast Nuggets)
1 can Cream of Mushroom soup
1/3 cup Milk
1 cup shredded Cheddar Cheese

Preparation:

  1. Combine Soup & Milk.
  2. Place Rice in the bottom of 11 x 13 baking dish.
  3. Pour 1/2 of Soup/Milk mixture over Rice & combine until all Rice is "wet".
  4. Place Broccoli and Chicken Nuggets on top of Rice.
  5. Pour remaining Soup/Milk mixture over Chicken & Broccoli.
  6. Sprinkle with Cheese.
  7. Bake for 15 minutes at 450 degrees.
Again, not the most healthy of recipes, but oh-so-good :-)

Bon appetite, friends! K~

3 comments:

Taneha said...

Oh my gosh 4 of my favorite throw together things, broccoli, cream of mushroom, rice and chicken. Always the best last minute meal. ~T

Melinda said...

I tried it on the weekend. I had completely forgotten about Chicken Divan! Thanks for jogging my memory! I used pasta, instead of rice, but it must have turned out okay. John had 3 helpings!

Anonymous said...

anything with broccoli must be healthy!